Gift of Caring Program
- Cookie Program
- Nuts & Magazines
Gift of Caring Program
The Gift of Caring program is a council-wide community service project that gives Girl Scouts the opportunity to learn philanthropy and community service through their participation in the Fall Product Program.
- Troops collect monetary donations from customers (many customers prefer to donate money, rather than purchase products).
- The donations are then used by the council to purchase Trophy Nut products.
- Those products get donated to our nonprofit Gift of Caring partners, the L.A. Regional Foodbank, Operation Gratitude, and the USO.
It's the perfect way for customers to give back to Girl Scouts and their community, even if they choose not to buy products for themselves!
Gift of Caring Program Info for Troops
When your troop sells products through Gift of Caring, the product is not physically picked up by the customer or the troop. This is why it is described as a virtual donation. Here are the steps for participating in Gift of Caring:
- Girls collect the donation and complete the Gift of Caring Receipt if the customer requests it.
- Give one copy to the customer and keep one for the troop records.
- Record the quantity sold in TNOS under "Gift of Caring" (GOC).
- Recording in TNOS lets GSGLA know how many cans to purchase and gives girls credit for cans sold.
- Girls are eligible for the Gift of Caring Rocker Patch for selling six or more cans.
The troop receives their proceeds and the donor can feel good that their tax-deductible donation is supporting Girl Scouts AND our nonprofit partners!
The Los Angeles Regional Foodbank is a charitable food distribution network that includes nearly 900 charitable agency sites throughout Los Angeles County such as food pantries, shelters, senior and childcare centers, and others. (Receives approx. 45% of all donations.)
The Bob Hope Hollywood USO at LAX provides a “touch of home” to all veterans and service men and women by providing morale, welfare and recreation support services. This home-away-from-home serves as a comfortable private reception area for service men and women to be with their family before deployment. In addition, it is a welcoming reception area when they return from tours of duty from around the world. (Receives approx. 10% of all donations.)
Operation Gratitude seeks to lift morale and put smiles on faces by sending care packages addressed to individual soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines deployed in harm's way. Care packages contain food, hygiene products, entertainment items and personal letters of appreciation, all wrapped with good wishes of love and support. (Receives approx. 45% of all donations.)
Troops may donate leftover product to an organization of their choice, but cannot solicit donations for any other organization. This is per GSUSA’s Safety Activity Checkpoints. The Gift of Caring council-wide service project is the only activity of this type approved by Girl Scouts of Greater Los Angeles and follows both GSUSA and the US Department of Defense Guidelines.